Indigo Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to discuss anything to do with holistic health, well being, spirituality and anything else related.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Witches brooms

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bob
warming up
bob

Witches brooms Empty
PostSubject: Witches brooms   Witches brooms Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 1:09 am

Doreen Valiente in "Witchcraft for tomorrow" states that originally witches broomsticks were actually fertility poles with a phallus carved on the end. In order to avoid persecution in times of trouble, the "end" was covered in twigs to look like a standard broom.
Sounds reasonable, but although she is a very knowledgeable writer, she didn't have as much information about witches as we have today.

Which makes me wonder, what sort of brooms do modern witches have ?

We have a vacuum cleaner in our house !!!!

Bob affraid
Back to top Go down
Shadow
Admin
Shadow

Witches brooms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Witches brooms   Witches brooms Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 1:16 am

Lol I have a dyson but I also have a mini cinnamon broom for symbolic use in ritual should I need it - smells gorgeous! I think it is probable that the witches broom served a wide variety of purposes, cleaning physical dirt being one and then used in fertility rites - at handfastings couples are known to jump over the broom as part of of after their ceremony, used to clean up negative energy, as a wand, staff and anything else as the witches of old would not have had the luxury of having many magical tools openly displayed and a broom was seemingly an innocent item found in almost every household back then.

I dont tend to get too caught up on what people used to do, more what is suitable in this day and age but I do find it fascinating to think how they may have worked their craft.
Back to top Go down
http://www.indigocentre.co.uk

Witches brooms
Page 1 of 1